Hello Fellow Musicians,
In this article, I am going to take you through the process of downloading GarageBand for PC (Windows Version). The most common question I receive as a musician who majorly depends on this app to produce all my mixers and songs: How can we download GarageBand for Windows and is there any alternative to GarageBand?- majorly because of the unavailability of an apple device.
Personally I understand the urge because Apple products are expensive but I cannot vouch for the alternatives but here’s how to get it on your PC and how I am running it on mine:
GarageBand is all in one solution to create music, record and play your self-composed songs with friendly accessibility in professional audio quality:
GarageBand for Windows- macOS
Windows (All Versions)
10 January 2023
GarageBand for Windows comes with a fully functional and complete sound library that includes voice, presets, and instruments. It’s an absolute asset for professionals because of its vast selection of session instruments. For example, They have 5 drummer audition to fit everyone’s distinct style.
It comes equipped with 100s of Hip Hop, EDM and Jazz synth sounds, with built-in-lessons for piano and guitar. The insanely huge sound library on each instruments can create a huge number of permutation and combination for you to choose from.
You are quipped with the ability to fix rhythm issue or autotune, track and mix your track with instruments, put effects like compression and visual EQ with a click.
A very common question among Windows users is if there is any scope of Apple releasing a GarageBand version that supports Windows OS? The answer is No. Don’t get disheartened, I’m going to tell you 4 different methods to download GarageBand on your Windows PC. I have tested all the methods on my windows machine and all of them are working. Personally in the long run, I like using the VMWare method and recommend you the same because of the high grade file extraction it can handle.
Alright, this is very important. You need to make sure that you have the below specifications to run GarageBand on Windows.
So, Let’s not waste any time and get started:
GarageBand on PC- Minimum System Specs Requirements
To be able to download and install GarageBand on your PC, below specs are suggested as must-haves on your PC.
- Windows 7 and higher OS
- RAM: AT LEAST 4GB but 8GB Recommended
- Minimum Disk Space: 2GB
- ATLEAST, Intel i5 processor or RYZEN 7
Obviously, the higher the better.
So, If you want to start making music or podcasts on your computer, then follow the method given below exactly as it is. You can also get GarageBand on Windows 11 using the same method given below.
How to Download GarageBand for Windows?
I know while researching you might have come across various online methods to run GarageBand on a Windows PC. However, some procedures might turn out to be too complicated to follow, whereas others are unsafe and unreliable. The best way to install and run this app on a windows PC is by VMWare, it is the method I recommend the most and personally use, there is no lag and then exports are easier and much faster.
In this section, we are going to discuss 5 easy to understand methods that can help you download GarageBand on a Windows-based system. So, read through.
Downloading GarageBand on Windows PC using VMWare
To download GarageBand on Windows, please click on the button in the header or below. Click “Next or Accept” to proceed in the installation, complete the setup and enjoy the music composing app.
If you have basic knowledge of windows, you must know there are two leading companies for window-PC processor: intel and AMD, AMD is where the processors comes by the name of Ryzen, if you see the recent ryzen, that processor is a BEAST! To anyone planning to build a PC, I say go for RYZEN-9 3950x what a beast you will have for almost anything or everything you do, my friend:
UPDATE: Intel just came out with it’s 10th GENERATION of CORE PROCESSORS, It has caught up insanely to the Ryzen 9, although I cannot wait to see what AMD has to bring in answer but THREADRIPPER is still a beast which INTEL is struggling to challenge. If you also play games and want a processor which can provide the best 1080P as well as processing, I suggest the Intel® Core™ i9-10980H but overall I still stand with Ryzen-9 3950x. Here’s a chart for comparison:
CREDITS: OPTIMUM TECH via YouTube
SPECIFICATIONS OF THE DOWNLOADED GB FILE:
GarageBand for PC
Windows (All Versions)
Intel-based Processor: If you are running an Intel processor-based PC, straight up with no second thoughts go for the VMWare method. It will work smoothly.
AMD-V: If you are an AMD user, you already must know that not many AMD-processors support AMD-V (AMD Virtualisation) the past version, the recent ones have taken up a lead and works better than i9 too, so no need to worry about that. Virtualisation is a major factor to run a Virtual-based OS on your Windows PC. Please check if you have a previous version, if it supports virtualisation or not!
Check VIRTUALISATION support, in your PC?
STEP 1: First, please download the AMD-V compatibility checker from the official AMD site.
STEP 2: Go to downloads or find the folder in the bar, click on the compressed folder and extract the content using WinRAR.
STEP 3: Open the folder, click right and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR-“AMD Hyper-V”.
Step 4: Go and enable it from your BIOS. Like my case, Unfortunately, my AMD-processor does not support AMD-V, because I opted for an old generation AMD but as I upgrade to Ryzen 7 or 9, it will solve the issues for me.
If it’s a query in your mind: The Android Emulators may work but won’t function properly.
For more detailed information, check out this video and follow the process for checking virtualisation availability on your PC.
How to Install macOS Sierra-VMware in Windows 10?
- Download Mac-OS SIERRA from the button below:
- Download and install VMWare Player to run the machine, as it’s a freeware.
- Now go on run the Mac-OS, extract macOS folder using winRAR.
- Open the folder macOS Sierra > macOS Sierra 10.12 tools > Final Youtube Folder > unlocker208.
- Now run ‘WIN-INSTALL’ as ‘Run as Administrator’.
- The command prompt will pop-up, where the macOS will let the windows know that changes are made after taking necessary permissions. Just let it run its course.
- Go to your desktop, launch VMWare.
- Now click on the “Open Virtual Machine”.
- \\ mwqA Window will pop, and you have navigated it to macOS Sierra > macOS Sierra 10.12 tools > Final Youtube Folder > macOS Sierra folder and Select the OS.
Click on “Edit Virtual Machine.”
Select number of Processor Cores (Recommend two, if your processor is Quad-core.)
Select number of RAM, you can dedicate to the VMWare, if your RAM is 8GB, then make it 4GB in the machine.
Moving to MacOS Sierra Boot
From now here, it is extremely simple- red the steps and follow:
1: Re-launch the VMware workstation 10 and choose “Play Virtual Machine.”
2: You screen with pop open a snap. It is pretty usual for this to take 5-10 minutes to load completely.
3: Please type in or scroll down for your country.
4: Select your desired keyboard language.
5: Select the third option “Don’t transfer any information now”.
6: Enable location for better productivity of the apps.
7: Create or Sign up from the panel itself because you are going to need it.
8: Agree to the terms and conditions.
9: Choose the second and move on.
10: Now select your time zone, which is important.
11: The macOS will start setting up, and it usually takes one or ten minutes to complete.
12: Congratulations, You are now looking at the MAC desktop.
If you’re still stuck at the process and the steps haven’t worked out well for you. Refer to this video below and follow the steps he suggests and you’ll be able to get the macOS and VMWare both installed perfectly on your PC.
Finally, Installing GarageBand on Windows System:
Up to this point, you have managed to emulate MAC, meaning you now have a “MacBook” on your Windows PC. So, you now have what’s a virtual MacBook, and now all that’s remaining to finally install GarageBand. Open the App Store, checkup GarageBand, download the top result and you will be ready to start enjoying all the features it comes with.
How to download GarageBand for Windows 10 using Andy Emulator?
Andy is the most preferred Android emulator for PC, for now but seems like NOX is catching up. It will still take time for them to make this app work but till then, Here is a step-by-step guide to run and install GarageBand on Windows OS:
Step 1: Start by downloading Andy’s emulator on the Windows device. Visit the official website, download the ‘.exe’ and run the whole setup.
Step 2: Once you’re done downloading the andy emulator and the setup is complete, open and on the search bar, enter “GarageBand”.
Step 3: Among the displaying search results will be “GarageBand”. Click on that icon.
Step 4: Next, go to Andy’s home page then click the GarageBand icon.
Viola! That’s all there is to download GarageBand for PC Using Andy Android emulator. Start using, hope it’s smooth if not, Let us move on to the next method, i.e. via BlueStacks.
How to download GarageBand for PC using BlueStacks?
Bluestacks is another free and most popular Android emulator that you can use to install GarageBand PC Version. You need Windows 7, 8 or more to get GarageBand on Windows like official version.
Step 1: Just like with the first method, start by downloading the Bluestacks emulator on your Windows device.
Step 2: Again, go to the Bluestacks’ search bar and type GarageBand.
Step 3: GarageBand app will be among the displaying search results. To install, just click on that install icon and it will be automatically installed on the windows device.
Step 4: Once you install Garage Band for Windows, go ahead and open your Bluestacks app, head to this music production app and you will be ready to explore and enjoy GarageBand on PC for free.
It is that easy. If you have followed the above steps, you have now downloaded and can run the GarageBand app using BlueStacks Android emulator on your Windows PC. Let’s move further to another method which might be even better.
How to download GarageBand Windows using iPadian Emulator?
The first two methods above are using an Android emulator to download GarageBand on PC, but now we are going to use an iOS emulator to get the same results. It is also free and available online and it has gained popularity lately because it’s fast, reliable, safe, and easy to use.
So, how to download the iPadian, the iOS emulator, then use it to install GarageBand software for Windows 7/8.1/10
Step 1: Start by downloading the iPadian iOS emulator on your Windows PC.
Step 2: Second, download the file with the .exe extension.
Step 3: Wait for all the files to finish downloading then hit the “finish” option. This helps you complete the installation process.
Step 4: After clicking “finish”, go ahead and open the iPadian iOS emulator, and from there you open the App Store.
Step 5: Once in the app store, go to the search bar and type in GarageBand, then click the enter button.
Step 6: Choose the download option then install GarageBand on iPadian.
Step 7: Once you’re done downloading, look for the GarageBand icon on the iPadian home screen and you will be done!
Unlike the first two methods, downloading GarageBand on Windows PC using the iPadian iOS the emulator has more steps to follow, but nothing complicated. Each step takes you to the next and you will be done before you know it.
Alternatives for GarageBand on Windows
So, what if you cannot use GarageBand? Are there reliable alternatives that could give you similar or something close? Yes. Below are some of the best GarageBand alternatives available today:
- FL Studio: This DAW is compatible with most of the operating systems including Windows, iOS, Mac, and Android. FL Studio offers four editions, including the Fruity Edition, Producer Edition, Signature Bundle, and the All Plugins Bundle. Each one of these comes with a different set of features, which you can purchase based on your requirements. This software is the closest to GarageBand, however, its interface is more user-friendly, and offers free lifetime upgrades, post-purchase.
- Mixcraft 8: Mixcraft 8 runs on Windows and is a favorite among music professionals. Maybe you had used their previous version and hated the bugs, but the new version is way better. They have an easy to use user interface, improved sound library, and they offer next-generation sound engines combined with innovative sound controlling features. The new version also allows you to export and import MP4 videos from your camera or phone.
- Reaper: It is compatible with Mac and Windows and even though it’s paid, it is way affordable compared to most other options. One downside is that it lacks a built-in sound library, but this is made up by its compatibility with a wide range of file types. It is a good alternative of GarageBand considering the its big library of loops.
- Music Maker Jam: It is compatible with Windows, iOS, and Android, and is free for these platforms. Also, just like Mixcraft, Music Maker Jam is easy to use but is considered ideal for beginners.
- Stagelight: It is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Android, and you get a free trial before purchasing. It is also very user-friendly and has many features to offer.
Head over to this detailed post on GarageBand Alternatives for more options:
Why GarageBand is Popular?
There are several reasons for GarageBand’s success. First of all, it is the creation of a well-known name in the tech industry, i.e., Apple Inc. Secondly, the software is free and a great addition to virtual technology for almost two decades now. Last but not the least, it is used by beginner-level artists as well as professionals.
With the app’s music creation system comes pre-installed loops and MIDI keyboards, voice recordings, and various instrumental effects that allow you to create multiple tracks. Moreover, the app’s audio unit lets you enhance your audio track with echo, distortion, reverb, and many other effects. This is undoubtedly the one of the best music production software.
The interface is another feature that makes it apart from other music creating softwares. It not only allows you to create but also spice-up the tracks into something artistic.
It also makes sharing your music easily on social media. What’s more is that you can fuse, mix, or remix music, to make different tunes, and all this without much of the technical know-how to get started.
Key Features of GarageBand
Before learning how to download GarageBand for Windows PC, let us look at its features to understand if this is the right tool to help your musical aspirations:
Let’s start by noting that GarageBand is easy to use and very fun to explore, given that it has a whole bunch of features to use. Below is a compilation of all other features that make GarageBand what it is:
- Acapellas and beats: With this application, you will be able to create beats and acapella, mix and match different beats, to come up with something unique like garageband. Most people with YouTube channels use it to create unique music for their videos.
- Incorporate real-life instruments: If you are looking for the best music creating an application, you won’t go wrong with GarageBand. With it, you can easily incorporate other real-life instruments such as guitar and drums, and also add bass to your songs. And, what makes this even better is how easy it is to do all this.
- Collection of tunes, instruments, beats: GarageBand makes it feasible for people to create music without using any physical instruments. With different beats and instruments like percussionists, guitars, and drums available in the software, it is easier to create music.
- Sharing the music: After enabling you to create music, GarageBand also allows you to share it on social media with ease. This is where most popular musicians began. The feedback you get from sharing your creations will push you to do more, and eventually grow to your dreams.
- Built-in Piano and Guitar lessons: With GarageBand, you get to take things a notch higher by learning how to play guitar and piano from your Windows computer. It’s a feature-packed application that anyone interested in music will find useful.
- DJ style effects: Some of the effects available on this app are: Repeaters, filters, and vinyl scratching
- 9 acoustic and electronic drummers with their signature sounds.
- 1000,000+ realistic grooves
- On-the-go production
- Remote controller– GarageBand has functionality of being controlled from your iPhone or iPad. You can remotely control and operate for easier accessibility.
How to finish with the INSTALLATION?
If you are determined to use GarageBand on your PC, there are several workarounds to try. While the functionality and effectiveness of these are not guaranteed, most of these methods are safe. So, go ahead and give them a try. See if it will work for you.
References, Sources and Links
List of Softwares needed to download GarageBand for PC using the VMWare method can be downloaded from links given in the article.
You’ll need following softwares to install GarageBand on a windows PC.
- Free VMware Player
- WinRar Extractor
- MacOS Sierra or any (VMWare DiskImage)
- VMware Unlocker
- VMware Workstation Free Trial (for setup)
All in all, Garageband is an amazing music composing app that can change the way you look at music composing and singing. All you need is the right version on your windows PC that will help you access all the features in the safest manner. Reading the guide above will make sure you all the knowledge at your disposal to become the best musical artist the world has ever seen.