One of the best in-house digital recording studio, GarageBand, is popular among music lovers. However, a huge drawback of the app is that it is only available for iOS & macOS devices. Hence, a large number of Windows users tend to look for apt software as a substitute for this DAW.
To solve this problem for all our Windows-using-music-creators, we will be discussing such digital audio workstations that are compatible with Windows. Here is a compilation of some great alternatives to Apple’s GarageBand:
- Audiotool: As one of the best alternatives to GarageBand, Audiotool is a very compelling virtual studio. Audiotool enables you to store all your demos, presets, and tracks in the cloud, hence making them accessible from any browser. Also, the edited recording can later be shared on YouTube, SoundCloud, or Facebook using this DAW. With a feature that allows collaboration, Audiotool can be used with additional hardware and software. This feature is helpful when you need to merge, split or route of different synthesizer outputs. This DAW is a great tool that lets you enjoy an increasing cloud-based library with unlimited demos available a click away. Audiotool’s major features include in-built instruments like Heisenberg, Pulverisateur, machinist, beatbox 8, etc. Also, with various mixing options, routines, and effects, it is very easy to create music of different genres.
- Music Maker Jam: Another virtual recording studio that works as an entertainment ensemble, however, has limited music production capacity is Music Maker Jam. This software is for those who like to experiment with music, rather than just serious music production. Available on Windows App Store, Music Maker Jam can be easily downloaded and even has a fan-following from Android users.
- Stagelight: Similar to the Music Maker Jam, Stagelight is also an Android-based app for music creation along with Windows as well as a macOS platform. With an approach different from the usual DAWs, this software majorly focuses on the live recording mode. This way it is easier to check various loops and audio files combined, useful in a lot of live performances. The free version has some unlimited tracks, the drum machine and instruments are only available as basic versions. Overall, Stagelight, with some limitations, brings an interesting twist to the music industry and is considered more than enough with its free version.
- Mixcraft 8 Home: For budding musicians, this loop-based software is a way to start their careers. Just like GarageBand’s well-known feature of having a diverse loop library, Mixcraft 8 Home offers a broad set of different loops. This feature process beneficial in speeding up the process. What’s more, its live recording feature makes it a real competitor to Apple’s GarageBand. This feature also makes Mixcraft 8 Home the perfect option for musicians to start.
- Cubase: A computer program, Cubase helps you in recording, producing, and mixing sounds to create music for CDs, or direct sharing via the internet. With a variety of tools for different musical genres, this DAW provides high-end audio quality that feels almost like a studio. A pro-version of Cubase brings together MIDI tools with advanced sound quality. Cubase Pro is everything you need, be it for band recordings in a studio, a live orchestra, or a live rock show. Also, with features like VST expression, Cubase offers an interactive way of working with many controller values and instrument couplings.
- Soundation Studio: A zero-cost app, Soundation Studio gives access to compose music online. With tools that enable recording, editing, loop library, etc., this app lets you save, download, and upload the recordings on the internet. Soundation Studio is a marvelous virtual studio with about 700 free sounds and loops, recording effects, and more. A mixture of effects like SPC drum machine, drum kits, midi packs, top-notch loops, etc., help you explore music. For anyone seeking a fresh style of music recording, this is precisely what you want.
- Reaper: This DAW is an intricate software that goes well with live recordings. Reaper is ideally suggested for expert-level musicians who need a setup that can cater to all of their requirements. With the most reasonable prices, the cost-effectiveness of Reaper makes it superior over its competitors. With the appropriate skills, Reaper’s amazing library of VST effects is a fabulous work of art.
- LMMS: Created by a volunteer development team, the LMMS’s main motive is to provide an open-source cross-platform music production platform. With varied software instruments, pre-loaded samples and effects, LMMS allows you to start recording music, right away. Although it does not allow live recording, LMMS has a preloaded array of samples. Also, since it supports external samples, you can import them while using your phone for the recordings. LMMS is mainly known for building tracks, piece by piece.
With these amazing digital audio workstations to support Windows devices, you are only a decision away from creating the most exceptional music. If you find any garageband alternatives for windows, do share it in comments.